On 5 May 2016 Suresh Prabhu launched a high speed Wi-Fi hotspot at the three Railway Stations.
These stations are Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh, Kachiguda in Telangana and Raipur in Chhattisgarh.
• RailTel Corporation of India Ltd. has been mandated by Ministry of Railways to provide Wi-Fi
• RailTel engaged with Google as the technology partner for setting up high speed Wi-Fi network.
• RailTel will upgrade its backbone infrastructure to backhaul high speed connectivity of approximately 1Gbps per station.
• Wi-Fi services to passengers will be provided under Railwire the retail Broadband distribution model of RailTel.
• Designed to offer users the best Internet experience, Railwire Wi-Fi will be available to any user who has a working mobile connection on a smart phone.
• Users will be able to easily stream a high definition video and surf the web.
• RailTel Corporation of India Ltd. is a Miniratna enterprise of Government of India.
• It is one of the largest neutral telecom services providers in the country owning a Pan-India optic fiber network.
• It covers all important towns and cities of the country and several rural areas covering 70% of India’s population.