The Vice President of India Shri M. Hamid Ansari has said that Prof. Mustansir Barma, a distinguished Professor and former Director, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai has made immense contribution in the field of Statistical Physics in India.
He has published numerous papers on the topic and is one of the best recognized names in the discipline internationally. Addressing after presenting Prof. Mustansir Barma with the prestigious “Gujar Mal Modi Award for his commendable contribution in the field of Science and Technology” at a function here today, he has said that his personal initiative in expanding the TIFR campus in Hyderabad and his support and encouragement to younger scientists in exploring new areas is commendable. The bestowing of this year’s prestigious G.M. Modi Science Award to Prof. Mustansir Barma is a most befitting step taken by Gujar Mal Modi Foundation. He said that a number of historical, cultural, political, social and economic situations have given rise to the need to develop strategies that favour the popularization of science and technology. The technical possibilities of gaining access to information are changing our vision of the world and transforming the relationship between human beings and the appropriation and dissemination of knowledge.The Vice President opined that today, access to knowledge is synonymous with development, well-being and quality of life. The world is increasingly being divided into societies that produce knowledge, and those that are essentially consumers of it. To be a society that progresses, builds and creates, rather than being one that passively contemplates such progress, it is essential to make science and technology an essential part of the culture of the people. The popularization of science and technology must make such knowledge a central component of culture, of social awareness and of collective intelligence. It must also contribute to an effective address of cultural, social and economic issues.
About Gulzar mal Modi Award
• the G.M. Modi Foundation has been instituted an annual award, the Gujar Mal Modi Award for Innovative Science & Technology.
• The award acknowledge excellence in scientific research and development.
• The award consist of Rs. 2.01 lakh, a silver shield and a scroll of honor.
About Mustansir Barma
• Mustansir Barma is an Indian Scientist specializing in Statistical Physics.
• He was former Director of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
• He has published numerous papers on the topic and is one of the best recognized names in the discipline internationally..
• His personal initiative in expanding the TIFR campus in Hyderabad and his support and encouragement to younger scientists in exploring new areas is commendable.